All parents in divorce, separation or custody cases in Washington County (including modifications) which involve minor children must take the mandatory parent education class, “Kids’ Turn.”
- You must attend and complete the class if your youngest child is under 17 (i.e., you don’t have to take the class if your youngest child is 17). SLR 8.102(7).
- You do not have to take the class if you have taken an approved class in the past 5 years. SLR 8.102(7).
- There is a one-time fee of $267 per person.
- Kids’ Turn is a series of 4 classes. You must attend all 4 classes and cannot miss any of them – there are no exceptions. Classes are the same day of the week, four weeks in a row.
- There are currently four different class locations and days offered throughout the Beaverton, Hillsboro and Tualatin area.
When you register, you will be asked whether you are the Petitioner, Respondent or a Co-Petitioner. Most people who go through the mediation process file as “co-petitioners.” There is no legal significance between filing as Petitioner/Respondent and Co-Petitioners.
You will receive a certificate of completion once you complete the class. If you have already filed your case, your certificate will be filed with your case. If you have not filed your case, you will need to provide the certificate to your attorney or mediator for filing.
A judge will not sign your judgment until you have both taken the class. There are limited exceptions to this, including:
- If you are unable to take the class due to your work schedule, where you live or for other ‘good cause’, you may be allowed to take an alternate course, but you will need to file a motion for the alternate class to be approved. SLR 8.102(6), (8)
- If you have taken the class but the other person has not, you can file a motion to ask the court to waive or defer the class requirement with respect to the other person so that the judgment can be signed. SLR 8.102(8).https://www.kidsturnwaco.com/
- If you think there is some reason that either or both people cannot or will not take the class, you should discuss it with your mediator or attorney. However, the court’s assumption is that both people will take the class.
You can register for the class here: https://www.kidsturnwaco.com/