Please note: This is information regarding the mandatory Multnomah County parent education class, but Forrest Collins does not provide the class. You can use the link at the bottom of the page to register.

All parents in divorce, separation or custody cases in Multnomah County (including modifications) which involve minor children must take the mandatory parent education class, “Parents Helping Children Cope with Family Change.”

  • You must attend and complete the class even if your child is 17 (i.e., there is no age exception).
  • You do not have to take the class if you have taken it in the past 5 years. If you have taken the class within the past 5 years you will need to file a certificate which includes the date the class was taken and the case number.  SLR 8.125(2)(c)
  • There is a one-time fee of $70 per person. Participants who register within 60 days of filing their case pay a reduced fee of $55.  You can apply to have this fee waived if you are at or around the poverty line.
  • The class is offered five times per month. It is offered one Saturday morning, one Tuesday morning and one Tuesday evening at the Multnomah County Courthouse.  It is offered two Thursday evenings per month at the Donald E. Long Juvenile Justice Facility.

When you register, you will be asked whether you are the Petitioner, Respondent or a Co-Petitioner.  Most people who go through the mediation process file as “co-petitioners.”  There is no legal significance between filing as Petitioner/Respondent and Co-Petitioners.

You will receive a certificate of completion once you complete the class.  If you have already filed your case, your certificate will be filed with your case.  If you have not filed your case, you will need to provide the certificate to your attorney or mediator for filing.

A judge will not sign your judgment until you have both taken the class.  There are limited exceptions to this, including:

  • If you are unable to take the class due to your work schedule, where you live or for other ‘good cause’, you may be allowed to take an alternate course, but you will need to file a motion for the alternate class to be approved. SLR 8.125(6)
  • If you have taken the class but the other person has not, you can file a motion to ask the court to defer the class requirement with respect to the other person so that the judgment can be signed. SLR 8.125(7)
  • If you think there is some reason that either or both people cannot or will not take the class, you should discuss it with your mediator or attorney. However, the court’s assumption is that both people will take the class.

You can register for the class here: