Please note: This is information regarding the mandatory Clackamas County parent education class, but Forrest Collins does not provide the class. You can use the link at the bottom of the page to register.
All parents in divorce, separation or custody cases in Clackamas County (including modifications) which involve minor children must take the mandatory parent education class.
- You must attend and complete the class even if your child is 17 (i.e., there is no age exception).
- There is a one-time fee of $75 per person. You can apply to have the fee waived if you meet the financial requirements.
- The class is offered every Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- The class is held at 2051 Kaen Rd., Room 369, Oregon City.
When you register, you will be asked whether you are the Petitioner, Respondent or a Co-Petitioner. Most people who go through the mediation process file as “co-petitioners.” There is no legal significance between filing as Petitioner/Respondent and Co-Petitioners.
You will receive a certificate of completion once you complete the class. If you have already filed your case, your certificate will be filed with your case. If you have not filed your case, you will need to provide the certificate to your attorney or mediator for filing.
A judge will not sign your judgment until you have both taken the class. There are limited exceptions to this, including:
- If you are unable to take the class due to your work schedule, where you live or other ‘good cause’, you may be allowed to take an alternate course, but you will need to file a motion for the alternate class to be approved. SLR 8.015(6)
- If you have taken the class but the other person has not, you can file a motion to ask the court to defer the class requirement with respect to the other person so that the judgment can be signed. SLR 8.015(7)
- If you think there is some reason that either or both people cannot or will not take the class, you should discuss it with your mediator or attorney. However, the court’s assumption is that both people will take the class.
You can learn more about the class here: http://www.clackamas.us/ccrs/parents.html
You can register for the class here: https://web3.clackamas.us/pay/rs/